I have been focusing on staying hydrated and began figuring out ways to make drinking more water a daily habit for me. Y’all, I’m telling you, I was seriously the worst…it would hit 3 pm and I was still on my first cup (of coffee). So if you are like me and looking for a jump start to your health journey this is a great place to start. It is a small change that has made a huge difference in my energy and health. Dehydration is so hard on our bodies so drink the water, friends!
To begin, you need to figure out how much water you should be drinking each day. The goal: half of your body weight in ounces. Mine is 68oz which breaks down to about six 12 ounce glasses of water throughout the day. Once you have that number figured out, you need to get drinking…
One tip I learned from Rachel Hollis is that if you want to start a new habit then you should add it on to a positive habit you already do every day. For me, that positive habit was working out in the morning so I now chug a huge glass of water as soon as I walk in the house after the gym. One glass complete before 6 am! Check!
What are some positive habits you have right now that you do every day? They can be as simple as brushing your teeth every morning. Or washing your makeup off before bed. Choose 1-2 things and drink a full glass of water each time you complete those tasks.
I realize that adding 1-2 glasses doesn’t get us to the full water goal so here are a few more tips for staying hydrated:
- Reminders. I set up iPhone alarms to go off throughout the day. When one of them goes off, I chug 12 oz. of water. I also set them to go off during times in my day when I would usually turn to coffee or just forget entirely to drink any form of liquid
- Track your progress. I downloaded the Waterlogged app and it’s a nice little reward for me to check off as I go.
- Make it fun: I started taking my pink water bottle with me everywhere so if I think about it I have at my fingertips. My favorite water bottle brand is BKR or Swell. Find a cute option here!
- Set yourself up for success. I try to get as much water in the morning as possible to set myself up for success. I’ve found that the mornings when I get a ton of water in early, I feel better and have a better chance of hitting my goal.
- Find good alternatives. I found some favorite sparkling water options. I know I’ll get some disagreement here but I could never find a La Croix that I truly enjoyed. It wasn’t until I found Spindrift (thanks Liz) that I got onto the sparkling water train. Another great option is adding lime or lemon to your water to really spice things up. Getting crazy, I know….
I recently read the book, The Power of Habits. It was life-changing for me, and if you haven’t read it yet I would highly recommend you pick up a copy. Habits work in 3 step loops: the cue, the routine, the reward. You can change your habits by focusing on the routine. And if you keep it consistent for 30 days then it becomes a new habit.
The reward: not only do I feel more energized but I’ve noticed that my skin has cleared up. I’m not as hungry throughout the day. It is SO important to your overall health. Hopefully, this helps you too!