During Covid & quarantine, I have been spending A LOT more time in my kitchen. Mostly out of necessity since we haven’t been comfortable dining out at restaurants. We end up cooking dinner at home 5-6 nights a week! I’m sure many of you are in the same boat so I thought it could be fun to share some of my most-loved and most-used kitchen items. Whether you are in the market to upgrade some essentials or you are in a food rut and wanting to spice up some weeknight meals, I hope this is helpful.
Here are our favorite kitchen items:
- Espresso machine – Our Breville model isn’t on their website anymore but our espresso machine gets the most use out of any appliance in our kitchen. We make oat-milk lattes almost every morning. If you don’t want to go with the full machine (they take up a lot of counter space), I would recommend you start with a milk frother!
- Crockpot – Gosh, how I love the crockpot! We use this appliance 1-2x per week for soups (David’s favorite meal), shredded chicken, steel-cut oatmeal, and more. I upgraded to this All-Clad one a while back and it’s been a game-changer. I also have a mini crockpot which is a favorite for dips during parties (back when parties were a thing).
- This set of kitchen utensils – these utensils are a splurge but the stainless steel is a worthy upgrade from the plastic ones you end up replacing every few months.
- Vitamix – Another big splurge. I have smoothies every single day in the summer and nothing blends like this baby. Highly recommend!
- Le Creuset Dutch oven – Talk about versatile. When I’m not using the crockpot, I am most likely cooking with my dutch oven. I have two sizes – the 5.5 qt & the 7.25 qt. It goes from the stove-top to the oven so easily, cleans like a dream, and the colors are gorgeous. While they are indeed expensive, this is a lifelong investment.
- Goldware bakeware set – Even if you aren’t a baker, I think it’s important to have a few basics from this Williams Sonoma line. A couple of different sizes of their cookie sheets, a muffin tin, and maybe the bread pan to start. However, anything from this line is amazing!
- A pizza stone – Friday pizza night is a weekly occurrence in our house, so the pizza stone really kicks homemade pies up to the next level. This isn’t a complete necessity but it’s completely worth it if you are a pizza-loving family like ours.
- A good set of knives – We have had this knife set going on 11 years now and they are still going strong. Great quality. We invested in a knife sharpener and although we need to use that more often, it really helps!
- Mixing bowls – this set in particular is amazing. They come with lids & have gripping plastic on the bottom to stay put on your counter. I love the colors too.
On my wish list:
PS: With all of this said about cooking at home, Richmond has been great about offering some amazing to-go options from some of our favorite spots: Shagbark, Stella’s (just to name a few). If you are local, please try to support restaurants during this challenging time!
Now I’d love to hear: Do you have any favorite kitchen items that I forgot? What do you use in your kitchen daily?