Gosh, my heart has been heavy watching our family and friends in Texas deal with the disaster down there. We have been watching the news in awe – what a freaking mess! If you are reading this from TX today, please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sometimes when life gets hard (as it has been for all of us the last few months for a variety of reasons), it helps for me to remember the small, seemingly insignificant things that make me smile on a daily basis. So I thought I would share of few of those today. I’d also love to hear some of yours in the comments below!
Things making me smile:
- This bath soak at the end of a long day
- My new AirPod Pro (noise-canceling) headphones to drown out the construction noise in my backyard
- The little seedlings growing in my office bring hope for spring
- Working my way through a new puzzle at night by the fire
- Watching music documentaries. We have enjoyed these so far: Travis Scott: Look Mom I Can Fly, Homecoming by Beyonce, Framing Britney Spears, Miss Americana: Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes in Wonder
- This candle (always and forever)
- Watching re-runs of Gilmore Girl episodes
- A Peloton cycle class + meditation before the sun rises
- Going on adventures with Matthew & Molly
- This tea
- Reading interior design magazines the old-fashioned way (aka hard copy)
- Receiving and/or sending snail mail
- A really, really good glass of red wine (one of my favorites by our friend)
- Playing checkers with my kids
- A walk with a friend
- True crime podcasts
I don’t know about you but I recently hit a big wall with quarantine. I want to hug my friends and travel and snap my fingers so life can go back to “normal”. And while that isn’t possible right now, I am fighting every day to find happiness around me. Making this list & keeping it handy (I have a note saved on my phone) helps me to remember that there are still a bunch of good, simple things I can do on a daily basis to cultivate joy in my life. Even and especially when times are tough.
Find something to look forward to
While the little things are important on a daily basis, I would be remiss if I didn’t also briefly touch on another thing that gets me through hard times: having a vision or dream that I am working towards. I am talking about something BIG. Something that gets me excited to wake up each morning. Find that thing for you. Hold onto tight to it and fight for it.
A few big things
A few of the big things that I’m looking forward to:
Our backyard project is in full swing. Basically, our yard has become a training ground for tough mudder competition, which Matthew and Molly are fully on board with. We are rolling with it. I have given them a set of “mud clothes” which they change into every afternoon to go explore and get dirty in. I am planning to share some “before” pics and inspiration boards soon. Stay tuned!
Spring break is right around the corner and I can’t wait!
Finally, there are some super fun business-related things happening over here that I can’t wait to tell you guys about.
I hope this was an encouraging post to get you through the dead of winter. Spring is coming! Sending you lots of love, friends!
PS: I’d love to hear things that are making you smile in the comments below.